This is Episode 02 of the Social Media for Mompreneurs Podcast. Click above to listen or continue to read the transcription of the show!
Before I dive into the goodies on today’s show, I want you to know something. When I first started out in business, I definitely had no idea what a personal brand was. Heck I never heard of it! I simply thought my business would be represented by my logo, my website and my digital products. I was wrong, big time. If this is where you are right now in your business and you hear so many others talk about personal branding, but you don’t know how to make that shift in your business then today’s show is definitely for you. Grab your pad of paper and pen and let’s talk personal branding.
So what exactly is a Personal Brand?
First, I’ll start out and say your personal brand is not your logo or your website’s pretty colors. And don’t worry if this is what you thought branding was, I did too at one point. Yes, a logo and colors are important, but what you have to realize in today’s modern social world, a personal brand is YOU and what you stand for. Basically it’s the experience you give your followers or your audience. Your brand is your overall reputation. It’s how your audience feels after they’ve interacted with your content…your website, your Instagram account, your Facebook like videos. Your personal brand is reflected wherever you show up. If you’re a blogger and you release a new blog post every week, your personal brand is in your blog post. If you do videos and upload them to YouTube, your personal brand is there. If you are great at writing and you email your list often, guess what? Your personal brand is reflected in those emails too. Everything you do, how you speak, how you act, how you write and how you show up is your personal brand. Have you ever heard this saying, “your brand is what people say about you when you’re not in the room.” So think about it. What do you want people to say about you when you’re not in the room? Right now I’m going to help you discover and fine tune your personal brand. If you need to pause the show and grab your paper and pen because this is good stuff.
Alright so here is the first step in fine tuning your personal brand.
- What’s your story? Dig deep into why you do what you do and how you can help others. Being authentic to who you are defines your brand. If your story doesn’t move you, light you up or even bring a tear to your eye. Then it’s not your story and you need to dig deeper. For an example of this make sure you listen to episode 1 my story. You’ll hear how my personal brand started to develop.
- All right so here’s step number two. Brand message. What’s your mission? Who do you want to help and how can you help them? This is basically your mission statement and your brand is built around this. For me boss lady in sweatpants, my brand message is I help mompreneurs design and brand their passion in just minutes a day. So they can have more balance and time with their families. So in my brand message you can hear who I serve and how I help them.
- Let’s get to number three and this is a big one. Who’s your tribe. You need to know who you are targeting. Who is the one ideal person you want to help or work with? Once you’ve identified your tribe, your person, you’ll know how to speak to them. You’re going to hear a lot of different terms about your audience, your tribe. Audience, tribe, avatar it all means the same thing. That is your targeted audience. So right now I’m going to read to you who my perfect avatar is. My perfect avatar is Renee. I named her. She is around 37 years old. She stays home with her two boys while building her side business. She loves to volunteer at her son’s school. She supports her husband’s career and puts her family first. Renee definitely drinks way too much coffee and shops at Target. She’s definitely a laid-back kinda gal who doesn’t wear a lot of makeup, but always looks put together. Renee enjoys a night out with the girls or a date night with the hubby. Renee is so excited to build her business on social media but feels overwhelmed with all the options and simply feels lost. She’s frustrated with Instagram and knows her business has potential, but she lacks the tools to succeed. She’s not willing to give up but doesn’t know what to do next. She’s just spinning her wheels. Renee is building her business for more time freedom with her family. But she’s spending way too much time trying to figure out social media. So that is my perfect avatar. And you might be thinking to yourself, gee that sounds a lot like me. So if you’re a lot like Renee. Well guess what? You are my target audience. So it’s so crucial to your personal brand to get crystal clear on who exactly you are targeting in your business.
- Alright so let’s jump to number four, content. Now a lot of people will get a little overwhelmed or confused with content. So here is the best way to come up with content. You need to figure out what your tribe wants for you. A lot of business owners will flip flop that and they will create content that they think their audience wants. But you need to figure out what your audience wants from you. Once you nail down what they want to learn from you, make sure that you deliver that content in a valuable, educational training way; not a spammy sales way. Your content should teach and create curiosity about you and your business.
- This one is my favorite. You guessed it. It’s all about the aesthetics. It’s the fun part. Once you know who you are, what you stand for, your brand message and who you are targeting, a logo, brand colors and fonts are important.
Growing your brand on social media can sometimes be a daunting task. So today I have a freebie for you. Instagram is my jam. So grab my free Instagram makeover cheat sheet.
So real quick before I leave, I want to go over the five steps to fine tuning your personal brand. Number one, you really need to define your story. Number two, craft your brand message. Number three, identify your tribe or audience. Number four, figure out the content that your audience needs. And number five, create the aesthetics for your personal brand. Thanks for listening. See you real soon.
Subscribe to the Podcast >>here<<